There are so many different ways to stay active in the summer without doing the same routine over and over again. And let’s be honest- we want to have fun while we are getting fit too! If you don’t enjoy what you do for exercise, you are a lot less likely to keep up with it. Here are some ideas for getting active in the great outdoors:
1. Biking- With all of the many trails here, it is easy to find a path near you!
2. Rollerblading- Great workout for your glutes, quads, and inner thighs.
3. Hiking- Keep to a flatter trail for beginners, or up the ante with hills for a bigger calorie burn.
4. Swimming- For those brave enough, you can swim the lanes marked off on some of the lakes! Otherwise, outdoor pools can be a great place for this full body exercise as well.
5. Water Skiing- This can be a great core workout as you have to stabilize yourself on the skis.
6. Kayaking/Canoeing- Tone your upper body with paddling, especially if it’s a windy day!
7. Paddle Boating- Another good one for legs.
8. Beach Volleyball- This can be a full body workout as you’re jumping, and using your arms to hit the ball, and it’s definitely a fun time!
9. Golf- Lower intensity exercise, but it’s a long day of swinging and walking which adds up!
10. Beach Jogging- Much more intense than running on a hard surface because you have to stabilize yourself. Be prepared for sore muscles until you get used to this!
11. Tennis- Grab a friend and hit the courts for a fun cardio routine that also challenges the mind!
12. Soccer- Great cardio and great fun. Also works inner thighs with kicks.
13. Basketball- Full body workout with jumping, running, and shooting.
14. Badminton- Lots of running around and strategy as with tennis.
15. Frisbee- Another lower intensity activity, but it’s a great way to enjoy the fresh air.
16. Gardening/Landscaping- This is hard work! From squatting to garden or carrying bags of mulch- yard work is always a good form of exercise. Grab a friend to make it more fun!
17. Boot Camp Classes- If you really want to tone up quickly and work hard at the same time, boot camp classes can be a great way to get in shape while also having the support and motivation from other class members.
18. Outdoor Yoga Classes- You can search online to see if any classes are near your, or ask at your indoor yoga studio as they can probably point you in the right direction. This can be a great way to start the day- especially down by one of the lakes. If you are experienced in yoga, grab your mat and head out to a serene location on your own for some sun salutations!
19. Plyometrics- This is a great supplement to other exercise like training for a race, as the quick movements can help increase speed and endurance. There are videos on You Tube you can watch to see how to do the basic moves.
20. Strength Training- You can strength train anywhere with just your own body weight, or use what is around you to help. Try park benches for dips, tree branches for pull-ups, a soft patch of grass for sit-ups and push-ups. Walking lunges and standing squats are great low body exercises you can do anywhere too!
Hopefully this list will give you a good starting place to find new fun in working out! If after reading this you still aren’t quite feeling the motivation, call up a workout buddy and make a pact that you will keep each other motivated and exercising. Don’t have a workout buddy? Check out sites like Meetup.com to find groups of people who are interested in the same activities as you are. I also recommend checking out websites for Prevention, Women’s Health, Men’s Health, and Fitness Magazines. They provide great routines as well as yummy recipes and recommendations for shoes, workout gear, and other products to try. One last site I really like is Active.com. You can search for races of all kinds- running, biking, swimming, and more. They also have listings for sport leagues, nutritional guidelines, and other helpful tips to get you started or inspire you to try something new!
Well, I don’t know about you, but all of this workout talk is making me want to get outside! I think I’ll head to Lake Calhoun for a nice jog…who’s coming with me??